Chia seeds are powerful weight loss boosters. They are also called Salba chia or Mexican chia, which are edible seeds of a flowering plant from the mint family. They were a vital crop in ancient Aztec and Mesoamerican cultures. The seeds had medicinal applications and made up an important part of people’s diets.
WHAT ARE CHIA SEEDS?
“Chia” means strength. These are High in Quality proteins. When put in water, they expand and form a thick gel-like outer layer. In fact, they can hold up to 10 times their weight in water or any other liquid. And you must always soak them in water before consuming them. The best part about this is that they don’t have a strong taste and can hence be added to any food and consumed.
HOW TO LOSE WEIGHT FROM CHIA SEEDS?
Chia seeds are great for weight loss. Making use of chia seeds as an ingredient in your daily diet results in all-around weight loss, boosted up energy, and a healthy-looking complexion. Let’s have a look at how these seeds help in weight loss.
- Loaded With PUFA
Polyunsaturated fatty acids (PFA) are categorized as healthy fats. Chia seeds are loaded with omega-3-fatty acid. It is known for its anti-inflammatory effects, brain-enhancing and heart health-protecting properties.
2. Rich In Dietary Fiber
Chia seeds are beneficial for digestive health by promoting regularity. It increases stool frequency to prevent constipation. The fiber in chia seeds absorbs a good amount of water. It keeps you full for longer and suppresses hunger. The nutrient binds with the fat and sugar molecules in the food and obstructs their absorption. It reduces the number of calories you consume.
3. High In Protein
The protein in chia seeds helps in building muscle mass and aids muscle recovery. If you are a pure vegetarian, it may possible you are not consuming enough protein. One ounce of chia seeds contains 4.4 grams of protein. To maintain protein intake, you need to look at whole foods instead of supplements.
4. Increase Energy Levels
A sluggish lifestyle is one of the reasons for weight gain. Chia seeds provide energy and make you more active. When you start building lean muscle, the number of mitochondria increases. This accelerates your metabolic rate.
5. Increase The Production Of Leptin
Leptin is a hunger-inhibiting hormone that is produced by the fat cells. Chia seeds are a good source of protein and also help kick leptin to action. It suppresses appetite, prevents overeating, and maintains a healthy body composition.
6. Loaded With Antioxidants
Antioxidants help flush out toxins and lower stress and inflammation in the body. Chia seeds are loaded with various antioxidants – quercetin, caffeic acid, kaempferol, and chlorogenic acid. Hence, consuming these seeds will reduce toxins in your body, help you lose weight, and reduce the risk of fatal diseases.
Chia Seeds For Weight Loss How to Use
1. Chia Seed Muffin
- 2 ½ tablespoons chia seeds
- ⅔ cup almond milk
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil/ ghee
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup mashed banana
- Whisk the almond milk and apple cider vinegar and keep aside.
- Preheat the oven and grease a muffin tray.
- Mix the flour, chia seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Mash the banana, add both types of sugar, and oil to the apple cider vinegar and milk mixture. Mix well.
- Stir in the dry ingredients.
- Add the batter in each muffin mold in the tray and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- And hurray, it’s ready!
2. Chia Seed Pudding
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons organic honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup almond milk/ full-fat milk
- Blend all the ingredients except chia seeds.
- Stir in the chia seeds and pour them into a glass jar.
- Refrigerate it for four hours to let it form a gel-like (pudding) texture.
3. Chia Seed Smoothie
- 1 banana
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- A cup of blueberries
- 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1 cup full-fat/soy milk
- Peel and toss the banana into a blender.
- Add the blueberries, Greek yogurt, full-fat/soy milk, and chia seeds.
- Grind it, pour it into a glass, and drink.
4. Chia, Fruit, And Yogurt
- 1 cup blueberry yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 peach sliced
- ½ orange sliced
- 1 plum, sliced
- Mint leaves
- Blend the sliced fruits into a bowl.
- Stir in the blueberry yogurt.
- Add the chia seeds
- Combine everything well, and garnish with mint leaves.
5. Chia Strawberry Shake
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- ⅔ cup Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds, soaked
- 1 teaspoon dark cocoa powder
- 4-5 raspberries for topping
- 1 teaspoon slivered almonds for garnish
- Toss the Greek yogurt, strawberries, and dark cocoa powder into a blender.
- Pour the mixture into a large glass and stir in the soaked chia seeds.
- Add the slivered almonds.
- Finish by topping it with raspberries.
6. Homemade Chia Protein Bar
- ½ cup dates
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds, soaked in water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon melon seeds
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon pepita
- A pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Transfer the mixture to a tray.
- Spread and dry it and cut into squares.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours to give it a more chewy texture.
AT A GLANCE
Chia seeds can be taken in various forms. They can be soaked overnight and can be consumed for breakfast with any form of milk of curd and fruits. They can be added with coconut water or lemon water or buttermilk. Sprinkling chia seeds add great texture to salads.
You can have 2-3 tablespoons of chia seeds per day. Make sure you do not overshoot this recommendation just to lose weight “quickly” as it can turn out to be harmful in higher doses. Also, consult your doctor/dietitian before consuming chia seeds.