Millions of people suffer from acidity. The most commonly used treatments include commercial medicine. But have you ever thinks what are the causes of acidity? how can we that relieve from this acidity? Simply changing your eating or sleeping habits can significantly reduce acidity. In this article, we have mentioned some home remedies for Acidity.
What is Acidity?
The food we eat enters our stomach through the esophagus. The gastric glands in our stomach produce the needed acid to digest food. When the stomach glands produce more acid than needed for the digestion process, you may feel a burning sensation under the breastbone. This condition is commonly referred to as acidity.
Acidity, also known as acid reflux, is a condition marked by heartburn in the lower chest area. This is a common situation that occurs when acid enters the esophagus from the stomach. The most common symptom of acid reflux is burning or pain in the chest. Although most people feel pain, they do not realize that an improper lifestyle is the main cause of acidity.
If acidity symptoms occur more than twice a week, your doctor may diagnose you with gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD. Chronic acidity can cause serious risks, including:
- Esophageal injury: The esophagus is the tube connecting the mouth and the stomach. When stomach acid rises and enters the esophagus, it will create a breeding ground for esophageal ulcers, esophagitis, and Barrett’s esophagus and esophageal stenosis.
- Esophageal cancer: The risk of esophageal cancer is increased, and if you have a family history, it is more likely to occur.
- Tooth decay: Acid reflux can erode tooth enamel and cause tooth decay.
What is the cause of Acidity?
Acidity is caused by too much acid secreted by the stomach glands. Some factors that cause heartburn include:
Unhealthy eating habits
- Skipping meals or eating irregularly
- Eating before going to bed
- Eating spicy foods
- High salt intake
- Low-fiber diet
Excessive consumption of certain foods
- Beverages, such as tea, coffee, lemonade, soft drinks.
- Extremely spicy foods.
- High-fat foods, such as pizza, donuts, and fried foods.
Some temporary medications and side effects of existing medications. These medications include:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- High blood pressure medications
- Depression and anxiety medications.
Other reasons include
- Excessive stress
- Insufficient sleep
- Frequent smoking
- Lack of exercise
- Regular drinking.
People with diseases such as asthma, diabetes, and connective tissue diseases are more likely to experience heartburn; this is also a common problem in obese people, pregnant women, or women who are close to menopause.
Home remedies for acidity
Acidity is a common problem that most of us encounter at least once in our lives. Most of us prefer home remedies over medicines. Here are some home remedies for acidity.
- Coconut water-this delicious food can soothe the stomach and digestive system. Drink at least two glasses a day.
- Watermelon juice: very suitable for reducing acidity. You can drink a glass of watermelon juice for breakfast.
- Lime Juice: Taking lime juice at least one hour before lunch can help relieve the symptoms of acidity. Advertisement
- Buttermilk: Drinking a cup of buttermilk after eating spicy food can help relieve discomfort because buttermilk contains lactic acid, which can normalize stomach acid.
- You can chew basil leaves or boil them in water and drink them frequently to reduce acid reflux. You can also use mint leaves.
- Drink a glass of warm water after each meal.
- Include bananas, cucumbers, and yogurt in your diet because they can immediately relieve acidity.
- Surprisingly, sucking cloves to treat acidity can help relieve symptoms.
- Ginger supports digestion. Use ginger in your meal or boil it in a glass of water, reduce the amount by half a cup, and drink the water.
- Cumin is a good home remedy for acidity. Chew some cumin or boil a teaspoon of cumin in a glass of water, boil it until the water is reduced by half, and drink it on an empty stomach.
- Try chewing gum! As weird as it sounds, chewing gum produces saliva, which helps transport food down the esophagus.
- Every morning take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water
How to prevent acidity?
The main cause of acidity is your lifestyle, so the most important remedy is to change your lifestyle. Lifestyle changes that can help include:
- If you are overweight or obese, please lose weight.
- Eat healthy food.
- Maintain regular meal times and eat dinner at least two to three hours before bedtime.
- Eat small amounts regularly.
- Eat a low-carbohydrate diet.
- Avoid foods that cause heartburn, such as raw onions and citrus juices.
- Limit your caffeine and soda intake.
- Sleep on the right side.
- Reduce tobacco and alcohol consumption.
- Keep your mind and body active.
- Start exercising to relieve stress.
- Try to avoid medications that cause acidity.
Some scientists believe that dietary factors are the main cause of acid reflux. Although this may be true, more research is needed to confirm these claims. However, studies have shown that simple diet and lifestyle changes can significantly reduce other symptoms of acidity. Try these 10 best home remedies for Acidity.